12 March 2008

Magnetic Fields at Town Hall

After almost a decade of waiting, I finally saw The Magnetic Fields when they came to Seattle last week to play Town Hall. I still wish that I'd seen them during their 69 Love Songs heyday, but this show was a good substitute. They played a full set of 25 songs, focusing on their most recent release Distortion, but including quite a few from their seminal triple album.

Town Hall was mostly a good venue for a Magnetic Fields show. A beautiful old building with pews sloping gently toward the stage, it's definitely a better fit than a noisy bar, but maybe a bit too old and sleepy for a indie pop concert. The whole audience and the whole band remained seated for the entire concert, almost like a symphony performance. I appreciated being able to relax and see easily, but the show lacked energy.

Stephin Merritt didn't do a whole lot to increase the energy, acting like a misanthropic bastard most of the night. Sometimes that meant cutting humor, but mostly it meant that he came off like a detached and angry bastard who knows he can act like a detached and angry bastard because he writes better songs than just about anyone alive. Claudia Gonson did her best to provide lighter stage banter between songs, but let's face it: people go to Magnetic Fields concerts to see and relate to the genius behind those amazing songs. Outside of singing and strumming his bouzouki, the closest that Merritt came to relating was when he went into the crowd to get someone to turn off their video camera.

But the songs. They didn't disappoint. The songs from Distortion sounded much better live, without all the distortion that hangs over the album. I felt like I was hearing some of them for the first time, and was glad that Shirley Simms joined the tour to sing on the new songs. I particularly liked "California Girls," "Drive on Driver," "The Nun's Litany," and "Too Drunk to Dream." I liked that people actually laughed out loud when they heard the lyrics. It made listening more communal and made me feel like the audience was actually relating with the band.

I also liked the clean and professional sound throughout the performance. I credit Sam Davol and John Woo, who sat quietly in the middle of the stage, holding the performance together with their attentive and precise cello and guitar and playing. I think that they made the more formal setting work because they seemed so serious and deliberate with their movements.

The highlights of the concert for me were the songs from 69 Love Songs. They are just flat out better than the songs on the current album, not matter how they play them. I wish that they would have played more songs from that album, but that time has passed. The best "oldies" for me were "Come Back From San Francisco, " "The Night You Can't Remember," and "Papa Was a Rodeo." The duet at the end of "Rodeo" always send a chill down my spine, even if it is a bit cheesy.

The songs from i also sounded surprisingly strong, especially "I Don't Believe You," "I Thought You Were My Boyfriend", and the closer, "It's Only Time."

Overall, it was a good concert. It confirmed my love of The Magnetic Fields many wonderful songs and helped me appreciate their new album. I wish that Stephin Merritt had been a bit more personable and energetic, but I guess his fussiness and crankiness were just about right for the mini-symphony staging and performance. The man is a genius after all.

5 comments:

Moe said...

Did they play, "Yeah! Oh, Yeah!"? That's a great song live.

"Stephin Merritt didn't do a whole lot to increase the energy, acting like a misanthropic bastard most of the night."

- yeah that sounds about right. He is a writer after all.

"The songs from Distortion sounded much better live, without all the distortion that hangs over the album."

- Is that a good thing to lose the key element (and record title) and make the songs sound better. Ironic, no?

"I liked that people actually laughed out loud when they heard the lyrics."

- That's one of the things I remembered as well. Reminds me of a Mountain Goats show in that people are actually listening to the lyrics and not just rocking out to the music.

cholstro said...

They didn't play "Yeah! Oh, Yeah!" Would have been great if they did.

It was ironic that the Distortion songs sounded better without distortion, but it is more complicated than that. After hearing them undistorted just once, those songs sound better on the album. It's almost like they let me in on the secret decoder ring for those songs.

cholstro said...

Review of the Friday night show.

Gmixon87 said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcHqaRdAYag

Gmixon87 said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcHqaRdAYag