11 February 2008

My Big Obama Weekend

On Friday I attended the Obama rally at Key Arena. It was an amazing event. The line to get in wrapped around most of Seattle Center; I barely got in, and ended up sitting near the top of the arena. People were sitting and standing in the aisles. Thousands of people were crowded outside the stadium just to hear the audio. Obama came on stage almost 2 hours after the scheduled start of the event, but people were still very much excited and loud. You could feel how badly people want to start over and save the country, and how confident they are that he can do it.

I talked with an older guy seated next to me. He was about our parents' age. I asked him how this campaign compared to the McGovern campaign for excitement. He said he was one of the true believers back then, but that in the back of everyone's heads was the reality that they couldn't win. He's more excited now because this movement is much bigger and will be much more successful. He also said that this campaign is tangibly "for" something, and not just against the war. Great perspective.

After a series of introductions and endorsements (mayor, congressman, governor), Obama took the stage to a deafening roar. The ovation could have gone for minutes, but he quieted the crowd and started into his talk. The amazing thing about him is that his words are big enough for the whole crowd, but it still felt like he was talking to me personally.

The very sad part of the event for me is that I had to leave early to get back to work. I ran out of the arena in the middle of his speech feeling regret and excitement. My bus was actually ahead of me, but it was stuck in traffic and I ran fast for a half mile to get ahead of it. I thought to myself, Yes We Can!

On Saturday afternoon, Jana and I headed to the local school to participate in the caucus. We expected a large turnout, and we got it. The gym was completely full of our neighbors. And almost all of them were there to support Obama. His victory was a foregone conclusion; the question was How big would his victory be?

When they told Obama supporters to go to one side of the room and Clinton supporters to go to the other, a mass of people rushed to the Obama side. We were packed in tight, while the Clinton side had empty chairs, lonely people, and maybe even some tumbleweeds. It turned out to be 3:1 or more for Obama, which was the case across much of Seattle. Statewide, the caucuses went about 2:1 for Obama, which made for a resounding victory.

Obama is gathering more and more momentum as a diverse set of supporters get behind him. At this point, if he doesn't get the party nomination, it will be a major upset. I certainly hope that doesn't happen. More than anything, this country needs to start over. And we need to start over by moving in the right direction. Obama is the candidate who can do just that. I can't wait until I get to vote for him in the general election -- and I really can't wait for January 20, 2009.

No comments: